STEEKEENOWTS

I faced them like a sheep being offered to a lions den. They were just seated there, watching my every move, and listening to every word that came out of my mouth. It was as if one wrong turn could possibly lead to my own succumbing and that if I try to steer away from what is true, then my neck is bound to be bitten off. I actually feared this day, of adjusting to new people to handle, afraid that if I don’t make any correct actions, then my career is very much going down the hill. After one dreadful hour, I came out of that room, realizing that what I feared at the beginning of the day was merely a figment of my imagination. When I motioned my senses to assume the worst, things turn out beautifully in the end.

I ask myelf, why do we commonly pre-conditon our minds to situations that seem threatening to us just because it rquires a certain amount of change? When my boss first announced that I would be transferring to a new team, I felt as if my comfort zone was suddenly closed down for renovation. Automatically my mind resisted the thought, and I was battling my own strength for any rationalization. The change was scary enough for me to have lost my wits.

Evidently, situations like these do not only exist when it comes to adjustments at work. Most of the time in our existence, change comes in when we least expect it. And when it does, we lose ourselves and panic. Sometimes with the gravity of it, we close our minds to the possibility of it bringing a brighter result in the end.

When you are young, you fall in love, you think about the future, you envision that little fairy tale in your head. But when the love story tumbles down the road, you start hating yourself for the big changes it is packaged with. Years you will hide in the dark and eventually scorn the man who broke your heart. But with the years where we wallow in pain, the situation may not be so favorable for us, but it might be for the other person.

As much as we plan to make things happen to our own desire, sooner or later the things that we accustom ourselves to may bend somehow. Little do we realize that at the onset of it, there might be something bigger and better for us. I guess it is only human to react violently to what is new to us, but with the passage of time you will see that it wouldn’t be as bad if you drive your senses to accept first and then deal with it like an adult.

I remember a friend who has been working for almost 8 years now, and he hated his job with this undescribable passion. But he somehow manages to wake up every morning, get into his suit, and go to work as if it was a part of him that can never be removed. It was one big routine, and despite him abhorring the daily mantra, he did it because he considered it as a safe zone. Something where he didn’t have to be anything else what he commonly did everyday.

Then one day he was given the opportunity to work with his father-in-law, a job quite different from the one he had, so he immediately turned down the offer. Of course with his wife’s persistence, he grudgingly took it, and now 2 years after he did, I have never seen him happier. He said that at the time he was working 9-5, he only accepted what is expected, not because he wanted to do something that would make him better.

It dawned to me that one cannot blame the reactions to change. Of course we tend to see the bad part of something before we even set our minds to try it. We only weigh what the negative is when we haven’t even experienced the change itself. The big question is, how many changes how you resisted yourself to just to remain in that same scene bubble you’ve living in?

Maybe change is interrelated with chance. I thought of all the opportunities I turned down because I was simply afraid of losing the non-complicated life I was already leading. But things get complicated only because we make them. And changing it doesn’t necessarily mean you are losing yourself, when in fact it is adding to what other potentials you can be.

Leaving something old for something new should not be a threat. It should be a risk. After all, if one does not take a risk, then you won’t ever know where you’ll be happy.

Labels: | edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment