STEEKEENOWTS

I've always liked watching Sponge Bob Square Pants, not because the humor is grotesquely suitable for adults instead of children, but because there is one character there that truly catches my attention. Patrick Star. Uncommon to those who don't watch (which I doubt), Patrick is a pink starfish clad in green board shorts and lives comfortably under a rock beside Sponge Bob's pineapple apartment. He rarely says much but if he does, it is sure to crack you up.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma." Patrick once said while he thought of a milk carton tipping over. Whenever he gives Sponge Bob some advice, the words are either meaningless, or he gurgles them out in a way no one can possibly understand. He lives a simple life of eating ice cream, and chasing jelly fish and still I can't help but admire the simpleness in his actions.

Wonder how most of the time we get all cranky and snotty like Squid ward, or how money crazed like Mr. Crab? I guess in this world there are very few people who act like Patrick and if they do, we see them as funny, dumb individuals who know nothing. We laugh at them, criticize them for their slowness, or ignore them with a distance. In grade school before, I had a classmate who was autistic and very few of my school mates paid attention to him. In fact no one ever spoke to him, in fear of being ostracized or simply because they thought he was weird. I was asked to sit beside him in class before and when he talked to me, I realized there was no harm talking to him, despite my friends hating me for doing so.

I found out he was shy. Only because he knew people thought of him as a special kid. He may stumble a little when he spoke but I learned that his autism was not something to be feared about. In fact he was very skilled in Math and uncannily hoping for friends too despite his state. I never heard much about him after high school, but found out soon that he graduated zumma cum laude at his college and is now a successful businessman. What most of us took for granted was even if he was a little slow when it comes to socializing or expressing himself verbally, he was focused on getting things done, and he did.

There was an episode in Sponge Bob where Patrick willingly offered to share his "rock" for an over night stay. Patrick snored, and a had a puddle of saliva over his mouth that Sponge Bob had to cover his mouth with a cork with. I laughed really hard watching that. Patrick didn't know Sandy was a girl..and he said that he can't see his forehead. He once asked if mayonnaise is an instrument, and he asked if anyone saw his underwear when he is actually wearing it. Despite his funny antics, and desperate attempts to be smarter than anyone else, you can't help but think that despite all that Patrick had so much more to offer.

He cried when Sponge Bob decided to leave and live with the starfish, and he played a good friend when Sponge Bob was doing his boating school driving lessons. He takes positivity in all things, and do not nurture any worries as long as he can do what he likes and have fun.

And may of us are less like that. I suppose we all can't just live under rocks, or wear shorts to work. But I realized that it pays a little to be Patrick Star driven once and awhile. When my autistic classmate recognized a friend in me, that was all he needed. He pursued what he wanted and glorified in it. It is rewarding to work hard at the Krusty Crab like Sponge Bob, earn money like Mr Crab, be devious as Plankton, aspiring as Sandy, or even selfish like Squid Ward. But we shouldn't underestimate the fact that being carefree and silly like Patrick is what makes every inch of our lives worthwhile.

I cannot forget one quote that Patrick said "When in doubt, pinky out!" Even if he does crack me up, I can't help but understand that behind his words is the real meaning of living it up. That even if people see you as dumb and pathetic sometimes, being content with who you are and not focusing on yourself too much will still make you happy. Being a friend and understanding loyalty does not require a brain bigger than anyone else. It just takes a heart like Patricks' and the positive attitude that can make you a better person.



Photos from Google Image Bank
1 Response
  1. Mike_Elle Says:

    Isn't it just amazing how much more we can learn from a very simple creature like Patrick star. :)


Post a Comment