STEEKEENOWTS



I was first introduced to Sinangag Express way back when I was a CSR in APAC. My friends would ask me if I wanted SEX, which was the common term used to this restaurant rumored to be serving the best tapsilog in town. Believe me I wasn't exactly a fan of processed food like tocino or longganisa, and the only thing tolerable for me was hotdog. We landed to having this treat at President Avenue in BF Homes Paranaque, and I was kinda surprised that there were a lot people dining in. Goes to saying that the rumor was true, they did serve the best tapsilog, or in my case hotsilog ever.

It's amazing how so many have learned to enjoy their food in the South, and as far as I know a lot of reviews and write ups have been made regarding it. I can't blame them, I was a fan myself. The hotdog and fried egg was perfectly cooked, there was soup, and the best part of it all was the rice itself. When you look at it, it seems as though it is fried in Star margarine, but the taste can simply take you away. Back then one meal costs 39 pesos, serve it with a tall glass of their iced tea, and you're craving for another extra plate of rice.

Combined with the cheap price and the quality of the food, I guess most people choose to dine in then order out all because of the ambiance itself. I can smoke while I wait for my food, and it's not the normal fast food where you have to wait in line. There are waiters who can take your order and serve on you with one just wave. The business has chosen to stay, and despite the countless competitors sprouting like mushrooms everywhere, SEX continued to be number one.

I was somehow miffed though when I last visited Sinangag Express on one of their branches here in Las Pinas. I sat comfortably with my boyfriend and waited for a menu, surprised to see that their prices have gone quite a bit up. From the once used-to-be 39 pesos, their meal was now at a 55 peso deal. And as renowned for theri fast service, our order took quite awhile this time, and the waiter even forget our order for extra rice, and had to return with it after at least 15 minutes. What also appalled me was the quantity of their food. They used to serve tapa in a hefty measure, and now it looks like a clump of shredded beef, spreaded neatly on your plate to look big. Even the hotdog shriveled smaller. The rice that used to overflow the corners of my plate was trimmed neatly in the middle, marking the fact that the cost has gone up and the quantity shrinking down.

I would like to think that the recession has affected many businesses. Including this one. The sad part is though, people have learned to love SEX because of the quality, quantity, and low price of their food. One time I passed by this branch in Las Pinas, and all the waiters were just standing by the door and waiting for customers. Business is obviously affected.

I searched through the web and was astonished to see that they already have a website running. They have various advertisements everywhere, and I came to realize that the business is tampered now with various media advertising. Of course with this kind of extent, people have to raise their stakes higher and live their reputations as big establishments. The sacrifice is, others would choose to eat a chicken meal at another fast food place if they choose to range their prices with other big time restaurants. The once simple tambayan of good food is slowly climbing up the corporate ladder, and despite their efforts to remain the best, it is inevitable that their patrons will somehow dwindle. After all people have known them to serve large portions for a lesser price, but when they come to see what has happened through the blooming of the business, they can't help but find somewhere else to eat.

It's disappointing in one way or another. I mean the profit itself would be good for the franchisers, but if they keep riding this trend, people will be dispersing. Honestly I would rather choose to eat a tapsilog just near my house for only 35 pesos, and is served the same way as SEX does, minus the glamour of flashy advertisements and all.

It would be good that SEX would learn a lesson from this. I became a fan of them only by word of mouth. They don't need to exert too much effort to win their customers. It is not the added Taho and Ice Cream on their menu or whatever fussy stuff to maintain their fans. If they continue to serve good and large amounts of food at a cheap price, they wouldn't have any problems. But if they can't, then I for one choose not to stay. After all, yes SEX is good, but the price just ain't really worth it.


Photo from Republic of the South

Labels: , | edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment